Travis Olander 12.22.22
We’ve lined fundamental setup with the UV-5R, and use the menu and its 40 choices. Now, let’s get into Fundamental Radio Programming. We’ll cowl all of the authorized issues you are able to do with a UV-5R with out a Ham license. We’ll additionally cowl program necessary frequencies, together with emergency, EMS, and NOAA channels for these “SHTF” moments.
New to Ham Radio? Learn Our Different Guides
Earlier than programming frequencies, know these three guidelines:
- You possibly can transmit unlicensed in an emergency.
- You should utilize your UV-5R to transmit with out a license on any frequency in a actual, life-threatening emergency. We nonetheless strongly suggest you get licensed. Learn Half One in all our information to find out how. Lots of the channels and configurations we cowl on this information require you to a minimum of have a Technician License.
- You possibly can obtain on any freq with out a license.
- Should you’re not licensed, you possibly can nonetheless program your UV-5R to obtain on any frequency. However once more, you can’t transmit with out a license.
- You Can’t transmit on GMRS and FRS. Ever.
- The FCC says you can’t use a Ham radio to transmit on GMRS (Common Cell Radio Service) or FRS (Household Radio Service) bands. These two bands are reserved for short-range, narrowband Walkie-Talkies. You possibly can solely eavesdrop on these bands along with your UV-5R. This stays true even when you have a Ham license and/or a GMRS license. The GMRS license is totally different than a Ham license.
First, Program NOAA Channels
The Nationwide Climate Service (NWS) operates nationwide radio channels 24/7. They supply climate alerts and emergency data. Let’s cowl program and scan all seven NOAA channels.
Listing of NOAA Frequencies (VHF):
1. Press VFO/MR to enter Frequency Mode. Should you see small digits to the suitable of the frequencies displayed on the display screen, you’re in Channel Mode. In Frequency Mode you’ll not see these digits.
2. Cycle the A/B Button till the highest line is chosen. You possibly can solely save frequencies to channels when you’re utilizing the highest line on the principle display screen. A small arrow to the left of every line signifies whether or not you’re on high (A) or backside (B).
3. Enter the frequency you want to assign to a channel. Let’s begin with 162.400. Enter the frequency on the principle display screen utilizing the keypad.
4. Press MENU. Navigate to Menu Possibility #28. This lets you clear the radio’s channel reminiscence. Choose which channel you need to save your frequency to (000 to 127) with the UP/DOWN arrows. Clear that channel by once more urgent the MENU button. You probably have the voice prompts enabled, the radio will say, “Confirmed.”
5. Navigate to Menu Possibility #27. This lets you save the frequency to the channel you simply cleared out. Press Menu once more, and use the UP/DOWN arrows to pick out the channel of your alternative. Press Menu once more, and the channel might be saved with that frequency. The voice immediate will say, “receiving reminiscence” when saving. Your frequency is now saved to the chosen channel. You possibly can affirm this by viewing the channel in Possibility #27. The assigned channel will show “CH-” earlier than its quantity.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 to retailer the opposite NOAA channels. If the channel you need to use has “CH-” earlier than it, it have to be emptied with Possibility #28. Now you can scan and monitor all NOAA channel for nationwide broadcasts.
Easy methods to Scan on the UV-5R
To scan channels, press the VFO/MR button to enter Channel Mode. Whereas on the principle display screen, press and maintain the * (“SCAN”) button on the keypad. The highest line on the display screen will rapidly cycle between all saved channels. Press EXIT to cease scanning. To power the radio to remain on a channel that’s broadcasting, open the menu. Navigate to Possibility #18 (SC-REV) and set this operate to “SE”. The radio will now cease and stay on a channel that’s broadcasting till you navigate to a different channel, or inform it to scan once more.
To scan frequencies, press VFO/MR to enter Frequency Mode. Press and maintain the * (“SCAN”) button, and the radio will scan all frequencies within the VHF and UHF bands. The “SE” operate governs such a scanning, too. To scan VHF frequencies (136 – 174 MHz), enter 136.000 utilizing the keypad earlier than scanning. To scan UHF frequencies (400 – 520 MHz), enter 400.000 earlier than scanning.
Program MURS channels
Though it’s technically in opposition to FCC laws, these VHF channels are typically utilized by rebellious Hams and preppers. Observe the steps we offered above to save lots of these frequencies to channels:
- 151.820 – MURS calling frequency
- 151.880 – Widespread repeater frequency
- 151.940 – Emergency channel
- 154.570 – Grandfathered enterprise frequency (drive-thru)
- 154.600 – Grandfathered enterprise frequency (drive-thru)
Worldwide Misery Channel
VHF Channel 16 is globally acknowledged as a common emergency channel. Its frequency is 156.800 MHz. If rescue operations know that an individual in misery has a radio, however they don’t know the radio’s setup, personnel will try and make contact on this frequency. All U.S Coast Guard and international maritime personnel monitor this frequency 24/7.
Nationwide Simplex Calling Frequencies
A nationwide calling frequency is a broadly accepted place to begin speaking with different radio operators. Should you set up a Mayday or SOS on these frequencies, you’re more likely to get a response. They usually work wherever within the U.S. For our UV-5R, appropriate frequencies embrace:
- 146.250 – VHF
- 446.000 – UHF
Retailer Your Native Frequencies
Radio Reference is the final word database for radio frequencies. You’ll find many native repeaters and police, fireplace, dispatch, EMS, rescue, and different newbie operators’ channels. Observe that solely VHF and UHF outcomes are appropriate with the UV-5R. Many outcomes are digital or trunked; these are incompatible, too. To entry repeater data, you will have to pay and subscribe to the reference database ($30/yr). To start out, navigate to “Frequency Databases” within the high menu and enter your city, metropolis, county, and/or state.
Different Helpful Emergency Frequencies
- 156.050 – Port operations
- 156.350 – Industrial use
- 156.450 – Boater calling
- 156.500 – Common business
- 156.700 – Port operations
- 156.850 – State and native authorities maritime
- 157.000 – Port operations
- 157.150 – U.S. Coast Guard solely
- 157.125 – U.S. Authorities solely
- 161.825 – Public correspondence
Now that you just perceive fundamental programming, learn the ultimate a part of our information to Ham Radio: Advanced Programming (Repeaters and Tones).